Wednesday 16 January 2013

Homemade Chalkpaint

So I have been reading an awful lot about chalk paint and planned to try it. Unfortunately I can't find it to purchase around here and being the cheapo that I am I am not about to pay to have it shipped. I did find out that it is sold in Bracebridge!! That's where my family cottage is so next time I'm up there I'll pick some up and try it. In the mean time I stumbled upon a recipe for homemade chalk paint and thought I would try it. I wish I had the real thing to compare it with....hopefully soon!!
 
So I picked up these two beauties at a flea market...they are going to be my chalk paint guinea pigs :)
 
 
For the paint I mixed 2 heaping tablespoons of white unsanded grout with a little bit of hot water. I didn't measure how much water, I just added a few drops at a time til it was the same consistency of paint. I then added 2 cups of my Behr Ultra Premium in black suede the the mixture and stirred and stirred. I just made it all in a jar that I had drawn measurements on.
 
I then wiped down the tables with a damp rag and started painting. Notice I didn't sand or prime....apparently you don't need to with chalk paint. I hate the sanding part so this was just fine by me!!
 
 
First coat of paint...not too bad, it does feel chalky when dry and didn't cover completely.
 
Second coat...covered much better!! chalky feel but hardly and brush strokes
 
 
 
After distressing and applying a coat of Minwax Paste here are they are :)
 
Nice legs!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Great job! You know you can order chalk paint online, too, but it's expensive. LIke $40 a quart! Making your own is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can order it but it kills me to pay shipping!! lol...Have you ordered it before? I would like to compare the two :)

    ReplyDelete