Thursday 3 January 2013

Painting Laminate Countertops

So I was hoping to have started by now on my newest projects, however after  a very busy Christmas and then even busier New Years (2 parties hosted at my house), I am still in the process of taking down my Christmas decorations!! In the mean time I bought another dresser off of Kijiji for $20.00 that I will add to my project list. I have no idea where I am going to put it, I have furniture scattered all over my house right now to work on lol.

Hopefully I will start the sanding on all the pieces this weekend.

While going through some pictures on my computer I came across the before and after pictures of my kitchen counter top redo. I thought I should post them here as they turned out great and holding up fairly well almost 3 years later.  When I bought the house the kitchen was painted mint green and had ugly blue counter tops, it was awful! Now I do love the colour blue, in fact it is my favourite colour....but on counter tops?? Ummm....no!!!! I painted the entire house and had planned on getting new counter tops eventually. Two years later I was still staring (and hating) at these ugly counter tops as I just never had the extra money to replace them. I decided to research painting them. After hours were spent researching and watching you tube videos...I headed to Home Depot to purchase supplies. I think I spent about $50.00 on supplies. I figured if it didn't work no great loss, besides....nothing can be worse than the ugly blue that they already were.

Ok...ready? Prepare yourself...its not pretty



  
                                     Ewwwww!! right?? Imagine it with the mint green walls!!!       
                                     
                     *Side note   - how come I can only enlarge my first picture on my posts??????




 
So I started by taping and sanding. I just gave them a light sanding to scuff them up a bit. I then cleaned them with vinegar and water.
 
Once dry I applied a coat of CIL Smart Any Where Primer

 
They already look way better with just the primer!!! I used a brush for edges and hard to reach places and a small roller for the rest.

 
I just did one coat and let it dry overnight. I then rolled on my paint, using my brush again for hard to reach places. I used CIL Smart Furniture and Cabinets Melamine Finish. The colour is Monterey Cliff.


 
I applied 2 coats....letting the first coat dry overnight.
 
Here is the finished project.................

 
Please excuse the dark pics....my New Years resolution is to not be lazy and pull out my real camera instead of using my Iphone for pics from this day on.

 




 
So much better than the blue!!!!

   
                                                         The paint I used.................

 
I didn't put anything else on for protection as I was worried about the chemicals and I didn't want a glossy finish. So far they have held up way better than I expected!!! There are a few scratches as my boys seem to have no idea what the big wooden cutting board is used for (I have actually caught them moving it out of the way to cut up food!). They are easy enough to fix up though...a little sanding, primer and paint. I just haven't done it yet as it really isn't bad at all. If my kitchen wasn't such a mess right now I would take a picture and show you how well they have help up....I'll have to do that later :)

4 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! I plan to paint the old laminate in my laundry room, when I have time to get to that room.

    Serena @ Thrift Diving

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) It is such a quick and easy fix!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished painting my kitchen counter top with acrylic latex paint and polyurethene. It was a lot of fun and saved lots of money. I spent a total of $150.00! quartz countertops

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sand paper did you use? I have blue counter tops in our new house and want to do this! Did you look into those kits that they have for painting counter tops? If so, do you think this method is better?

    ReplyDelete