Sunday 16 December 2012

My First Big Project!! Definately Not My Last!!

Hi all :) 

So this is my first Blog, not sure how much I'll have to say....I plan on using this mostly to document the projects I'm working on. I've always been interested in design and home decor but up until recently most of my decor has come from stores (I should buy shares in Home Sense!!). I have been wanting to update my boys toy room/video game room for quite awhile now. I love having that space down there for them as it keeps them out of my living room and family room. Unfortunately our tv broke down there and they now have taken over my family room. I never get the tv anymore!! lol. Since the room is currently not being used I thought it may be a great time to update it and make it  more grown up media room for them. One problem....money is tight, especially with Christmas around the corner.  So I had to come up with a plan. I knew I was buying them a new flat screen down there for Christmas so my first thought was, what will I put it on? All of the furniture down there is a mix of things that didn't have a home, a dresser and end table, some cheap bookcases, an end table I inherited from my Grandmother etc. Here is what it looked like....

 
 
 
I know, its a disaster...but its the one room I don't have to enter too often and the kids take advantage of that. It actually does get cleaned up most times, I swear :)

I knew buying new furniture was out of the question so I decided I was going to learn all I can about painting furniture...that's when I discovered Pinterest! OMG I love Pinterest!! I got so many ideas I didn't know where to start. Anyways, not only did I decide that I am perfectly capable of painting furniture but I also decided to turn the large dresser into a tv console by taking out the top drawers and building shelves...not too difficult right?? Why not do the end table the same way??


I took pics, drew my dresser and end table, measured and remeasured and headed off to home depot. They were a great help! They set me up with the wood for my shelving, cut it for me ( I prayed I had measured right) and set me up with the paint supplies I would need.  It was more difficult then I thought it would be (at least I had measured right) and I'm sure there was a more proper way of doing it but regardless I got it done. Here is the before pic of the dresser and end table


 
                                                                                                                                                                                                               
 
The process.........
Taking everything apart and ready to sand
 
 
Building the shelves....this took me a long time. I had difficulties getting them level
 

 
Dad lent me his level...that helped....Go figure :)
 
                                                                                                                   

 
The sanding....Help from my youngest. What is it about guys and power tools? He actually got bored after 2 minutes. Left me to do the rest.
                                                                    
                                                                      All sanded

 
He came back down to help me paint...that lasted a whole 5 minutes :)
 
 
First coat done
 
 
The finished projects
 

 
I spray painted the old hardware and put it back on.
I also spray painted a lamp I bought at the thrift store for $3.00 and put a shade I had kicking around the house on it
 
 
Part way finished...now to decorate (the fun part). I'll post new pictures after Christmas when I have the new tv and the room all decorated
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment